Monday, January 14, 2019

The Monetary Worth of My Work

Yesterday I spent time scouring the CVS weekly sales ad, my collection of coupons, the digital coupons clipped to my CVS card, and various apps, such as Ibotta and creating a shopping strategy that would get the family some items that are needed (or will be needed in the future) at rock bottom prices.  While I was strategizing I had videos playing on Swagbucks earning me some points.  Also while strategizing, I munched on some free food at my corner bakery.  It was a pleasant enough way to begin a day and when all was said and done I saved the family at least $40 and earned $1.  (Just a note:  when I say that I saved money I am referring to the top dollar that I would have spent on those items, not the amount that the store said I saved which would have been significantly higher.  For instance, I got my toothpaste for free.  CVS originally had this toothpaste marked at nearly $5.  I never would have paid that.  It was on sale for $3.  I rarely would pay that.  For the size of tube that I purchased I would have a target price of $2 or less.  By getting it free I saved $2).  The strategizing and shopping took less than three hours.  If I calculate my hourly "wage" using three hours than I was "earned" $13.67 per hour.  If I calculate it based on a full work days hours than I "earned" $5 per hour which doesn't sound quite as good and it is obvious that the $13.67 "wage" is not sustainable and consistent when trying to convert what I do into a "wage".
Why am I even doing this?
It is easy to undervalue all the efforts of the household manager.
It is easy to undervalue all of the efforts made by those attempting to make frugal choices.
Money saved, however, is akin to money earned and it is good to keep this in mind and to know that the choices that are made and the effort that is put forth has value, true tangible value.
Yesterday my efforts netted $41 for my family.  If I were to do that everyday than I would have "made" $1200 for my family by the end of the month.
Some days, however, I will not hit that mark but other days I will far exceed that.
Here are some examples of what I have done to "earn" money for my family recently.

-Friday I was reviewing our bank records and found that there was an error that impacted both of my bank accounts.  I went by the local bank on Friday and addressed the issue.  They have reimbursed my account $40.  Today I will call the other bank and, hopefully, will get them to reimburse $63.

-We were going to lose some of our income as our youngest child was turning 18 unless he was still in high school, which he is.  However, because he is homeschooled it was required that I produce a transcript, course descriptions and curriculum lists.  It took me two days to organize this information in a way communicated efficiently what they needed.  These efforts paid off.  This income will continue until the end of May.  Two days of intense effort will net $4500.

-Prior to leaving on our trip to New Mexico for a funeral I made quick bread, boiled eggs, mini quiches and I purchased bread, bologna, and fruit.  By buying about $7 worth of food and preparing what I had at home I insured that we wouldn't eat on the road and that we wouldn't feel the need to swing by fast food on the day of the funeral between the service and the cemetery but before the family dinner.  We would have spent at least $50 if I hadn't done this.  I saved us, and, thus, earned, $43.

-Prior to the trip I was fortunate to have a friend who was willing to change my oil for me.  This cost me $45 and I typically spend $125 to get my oil changed.  I also researched how to change my windshield wipers on my own and how to replace my headlight on my own.  I spent $100 on the necessary supplies.  The guys at the auto store ended up putting on my wipers for me at no charge and after failing at putting the headlight in on my own (a stubborn screw stood between me and success, ugh) that friend rescued me and changed it for me.  I don't know how much, exactly, was saved by not going to the dealer to have these things done, I can only guess based on what other people have told me that they have paid.  I would say that I had $250 worth of work done for $145.  That would mean that my efforts and determination to insource "earned" me $105.

Over the last three weeks my efforts have "earned" $4,792 (assuming I am successful with the bank today).  And, of course, this isn't even all of my efforts.  It doesn't include the impact that the plastic I have put over the windows, turning off lights behind everyone, and being the one who makes sure the thermostat is turned down at night will have on our utility bill.  It doesn't include my efforts to pack Bishop's lunch that he eats during history class when I used to swing by a drive-thru on the way to class.  It doesn't include the $60 I have earned in the last three weeks on survey sites and Ibotta and such.  And the list goes on and on.

The efforts to make wise frugal choices truly does pay off!

No comments:

Post a Comment