Sunday, March 27, 2016

Last Weeks Frugal Accomplishments

March 20-26

Monday:  I served bran muffins, eggs and oranges for breakfast.  I used powdered milk and eggs gifted by my hens in the preparation of the muffins.  To accompany the muffins I put out a multitude of jams from the food storage pantry, home canned jams.  I used bacon drippings to cook the eggs.

I put some of the egg shells in a flower bed and the rest will be given back to the hens.

Bishop went to his apprenticeship with the baker/caterer.  It's such a blessing!


Tuesday:  The frugal highlight of the day would be a free movie and lecture.  Our local independent movie theater had a free viewing of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey which was followed by a lecture/discussion led by an astrophysicist.  Maceo was definitely game for this as this movie is his favorite and he has a particular fascination with astrophysics.


Wednesday:  I prepared lessons for science and history group and only paid seventy-two cents for all that would be done.  I did have to make copies of some worksheets.

Between the groups we had lunch at the park.  The sunshine and fresh air were free and lunch really didn't cost much more.  Bishop and I were blessed by our friend with Thai Peanut Wraps and chips.  Another friend brought bottled water.  I brought oranges and apples (you know, those really inexpensive ones that I picked up at Aldi about a week ago).

Maceo doesn't attend science and history groups with Bishop and I so he was home alone for lunch.  Today I left him a coupon that I had received for a free burrito from Chipotle.  He did, in fact, have that burrito and it was, in fact, absolutely free even though he added guacamole to it.

I had purchased some tomatoes from Aldi at a great price about a week ago.  They were really ripe and needed to be used so I made a roasted salsa.  I decided to work dinner around that salsa and opted to make chicken quesadillas.  Yum!

I also found that three avocados had ripened and needed to be used so I made some guacamole.  Delicious!

I purchased four dozen eggs that were on sale for ninety-nine cents a dozen.

While watching some tv shows that I had recorded I rolled more of my change.  While searching for more coin wraps I found a bag of coins that I had stashed so I ended up rolling $170.50.  I still have a bunch of quarters but I have to purchase more coin wrapping supplies first.

Thursday:  Bishop spent three hours helping a friend and fellow scout with his Eagle Scout project.  While he was doing that another scout mom and myself went to Taco Bell for a treat to accompany our great conversation.  I had some of those cinnabon treats for $1 and they were fantastic.  Fantastic and cheap.

Afterwards I made a really great posole for dinner.  I had purchased some pork stew meat at a significant discount that I used in the soup and every other ingredient was found in my food storage pantry.

I spent the evening giving some serious thought to our upcoming Easter feast, checking to see what we had on hand and making a shopping list.
I will make ham with peach chutney  (I thought I had a ham in the freezer but I couldn't find it so that goes on my shopping list.  I do, however, have all the ingredients for the peach chutney.  I will use canned peaches that I brought home from the food pantry because it had recently expired and we couldn't give it out.  Here is the recipe that I intend on using: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ham-with-peach-chutney).
I will also serve mashed potatoes and gravy and some sort of vegetable that will be determined when I see what is on sale - asparagus?  brussel sprouts?  green beans?
I will make a slew of deviled eggs.  Those four dozen eggs will come in handy here.
I will either make potato rolls (yeast goes on the shopping list) or I will serve crescent rolls which I already have on hand.
For dessert I will serve cream cheese pie.  If I make my own graham cracker crust I have everything on hand although I may buy a crust as they are rather cheap.

I also gave some thought to what could go in their Easter baskets.  I know that I have some fun socks for them up in the stash of gifts.  Otherwise, I might make and package bunny shaped frosted sugar cookies (I have sugar cookie dough in the freezer) or possibly these white trash bars which I have all the ingredients for (http://cookiesandcups.com/white-trash-bars/) or these peanut butter truffle brownies (http://backforseconds.com/peanut-butter-truffle-brownies/) which again I have all the ingredients for.  I also intend to make these bunny cupcakes baked in small canning jars (http://sprinklesomefun.com/2013/03/bunny-cupcakes.html) and homemade candles.

Friday:  I did my grocery shopping at Aldi (always a frugal decision).  I also went by Hobby Lobby to buy some candy molds and wicks.  I used a 40% off coupons.

Upon returning home I did some candle and chocolate making - gifts for the boys Easter baskets.

Saturday:  Today was a fabulously frugal day.  I was able to see two stage productions, Willy Wonka kids and Sister Act, for free by volunteering to usher.

Then, upon returning home, I made more progress on Easter dinner and baskets.  I have been working on some chocolates for the boys.  I don't really know what I am doing, just winging it, but I am convinced that this is something I could learn to do and I think they would be great gifts throughout the year.

I know that a big transition is impending and it is likely that it will take a rather large toll financially so, while making the candles and chocolates, I have been thinking of how I can prepare for that time.  I have been thinking about what supplies and such would be great to have on hand to make things a little easier during those tough times.  Planning will ensue.

No comments:

Post a Comment