Sunday, February 11, 2018

Last Weeks Frugal Accomplishments and a Step Toward Financial Fitness (aka a credit card was paid off)

February 4 - 10



Sunday:
Most us stayed close to home for Super Bowl festivities.  Our family teams weren't represented in the Super Bowl so the party was more simple than it would be otherwise.  However, football food has to be prepared for this football-loving family.  I scored a great deal on brats so that became imperative to serve.  Then we made three different types of dips.  For a little something sweet I made football shaped chocolate sugar cookies.  This dough was found in the freezer clean out and made for a perfect Super Bowl sweet treat.  I also have a supply of football themed serving dishes and such so I pulled them out for an instant party.  Go Eagles!
Yay Eagles!

Monday:
We ate leftovers today.  There were even extra brats.  The boys were happy!
For a sweet treat today, however, I heated up the homemade chocolate sauce that I made the other day.  I used it on the last of the ice cream.  The boys used it as fondue with some marshmallows we had on hand.  Yum!
I bought a couple of new clothing items to freshen up my wardrobe.  They were deeply discounted.  I hope they are all that they appear to be.
I have a pair of black patent doc martens that I bought a couple of years back.  I needed them to finish an ensemble for an event I was going to.  Well, I really wanted the regular finish but the store didn't have them and I needed a pair so I bought the patent pair.  I have found, however, that I don't like the shininess of them so I haven't worn them in over a year.  This evening I researched ways to paint those boots.  I am optimistic that I can create something that I will enjoy wearing.  I will keep you updated.

Tuesday:
I had to go to the store for some milk and roses (for a gift and the smile on the recipients face was totally worth the cashola spent!).  While there I picked up some chicken at eighty-nine cents per pound, two packages of brats at $1.99 each, and ground beef that was discounted by $2.
Maceo's first college audition has been scheduled.  He is applying to schools in the UK so a trip is in our near future.  I began planning the trip and am trying to be responsible, trying to make good choices.  I am getting in the right mindset.

Wednesday:
Although last weeks emphasis was on communication and some progress seemed to have been made, the struggle continues.  Today I noted that I struggle with differences in the way that my husband and I view our food resources.  He researched a marinara sauce that involves using ribs and chicken to add flavor to the sauce, not substance just flavor.  Although I had no doubt that this would be yummy and, of course, I let him cook as it is his hobby, I struggled with the notion that these were all going to be rolled into one dish instead of three separate dishes.  We did find a bit of a compromise.  All the meat was pulled out of the sauce and will be used.
This evening I used the chicken and sauce to make chicken cacciatore.  I served it with rice and kale chips.  Yum.
A bit of a fail (but only a bit because the company was stellar) I did spend money eating out for lunch.
I made an effort to try to organize my clothes a bit so as to be more resourceful with outfits.

Thursday:
We used the sauce that Herb made yesterday to have spaghetti for lunch.  I topped mine with leftover kale chips and it was absolutely wonderful!
Dinner was simple with hot dogs and Super Bowl leftovers - queso, cheesesteak dip, and veggies.
A relatively large check of back pay came in today.  We deposited using the banks mobile app then used it to pay off a credit card.  Outstanding debt is now the house, one vehicle and a student loan.  We are making progress!
On the "not intentionally frugal but turned out ok" front:  Maceo and I went to Kohl's to by him a tie to match the dress that is girlfriend will be wearing to a dance they will be going to together.  I thought I had a 20% off coupon but it wasn't effective yet.  Shrug, we went ahead and picked out a tie, went to the register and learned that these ties were buy one get one half off.  The lady at the register was so helpful and generous.  We were already at the the checkout and were hesitant to grab another tie because he didn't really need another one so she offered to mark this tie down by 25% which is what it would have cost individually if we had done the deal.  Isn't that sweet?

Friday:
Herb made some great taco meat.  We actually had tacos for both lunch and dinner.
We received a check, a back payment, that allowed me to pay off our last credit card.  That's awesome.
A little less awesome is the difficulty that the hubby and had today conversing about finances.  On the surface it seemed to go well but things happened that confirmed that there is a disconnect.  So frustrating.  This transition is difficult.

Saturday:
I spent money today.
I had a LOT of photos developed.  I realized that I had to get moving on Maceo's Senior year scrapbook and Bishop's scouting scrapbooks.  Maceo graduates in June and Bishop, if he is going to rank up to Eagle, has to Eagle before January 5, 2019.  So, I decided that I needed to get focused.  As I said, I printed a LOT of photos.  Walgreens had a discount code that I used getting each photo printed at 10 cents instead of 29.  Then I spent the evening organizing Maceo's senior year photos and ephemera and got a little scrapbooked.  It will be slow going at first as it has been a long time since I have scrapbooked but it will pick up I am certain.  I did have to buy glue sticks, otherwise I am using what I have on hand.  I have plenty on hand.

52-Week Challenge:  The previous balance was $50.  To that I add $5 for a new total of $55.  (I have now done the 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 and 25).

Learning Jar O' Change:  Bishop donated $10.47 to the learning jar.  That donation is added to the previous total of $69.46 for a new total of $79.93.

No comments:

Post a Comment