Monday, March 1, 2021


 A year ago, with good intentions and a clear vision, I declared that I was going to resume posting in this space, making it a routine part of my life again. I posted twice in March of 2020 and have a third post for that month sitting in my draft queue; otherwise, nothing, nada... crickets. By mid-March 2020 I was furloughed from my part-time employment, I was sheltered in place, and the world seemed to be paused. Life seemed to be paused. Of course, that is not exactly accurate as life truly did continue, just not the life that I was accustomed to, that I had crafted for myself, that I had envisioned continuing to craft. World events continued to come fast and furious throughout the year and I have been left feeling as though I have trudged through the desert. I feel desiccated. I feel tired and, frequently, discouraged. The year tested friendships and has even strained familial ties. I have been stunned by the degree of judgement and vitriol that has circulated in my little world throughout the year. It has left me feeling vulnerable. Not wanting to expose myself to potential condemnation I contemplated getting rid of this very personal, yet very public, space.  I have struggled to feel inspired and have been unable to hold tight to a clear vision of where I am going, let alone the role that this blog could play in that journey. In my most depleted moments I was certain that I would not persist in presenting my life and accompanying thoughts in such a public way, yet my heart keeps wandering back to this little space that I have created. When I peruse the memories and thoughts encapsulated in this space I feel joy and peace; I feel that it is special. It feels as though I have created my own little nest. I am not ready to give it up.  I also find that I have missed the process of writing.  I enjoy memorializing the little bits that comprise my life and mulling over thoughts and ideas and beliefs.  I enjoy revisiting those expressed thoughts, ideas, beliefs and memories and making note of changes and growth. So I have determined to keep this space, to nurture it, and to protect it. I am determined to find my voice again, to rehydrate and reanimate. And I remind myself that a trek through the desert is oftentimes a necessary part of a journey; it is an adventure of its own. If I am keen on observing I find that the desert has its own beauty. Additionally, the desert stands in distinct contrast to the lush abundance of the verdant fields that comprise the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment