Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Lifestyle of Learning 2021 Edition: Volume Two

 Having a household of adults is such a very different thing than having children in the home. Each adult has their own endeavors; not that that alone is any different as each member of the family has always been encouraged to pursue individual interests, yet these adult endeavors are pursued in a much more solitary manner than those pursued as children. Most often, each member of the family is in their own space pursuing their own grand endeavors, running down their own rabbit trails. This week, however,  there have been some beautiful, bright little unifying, collaborative moments. The other day, as I sat in my room reading, the voices of hubby, Herb, and Christian floated down the hallway and tickled my ears. They had found common ground in the exploration of Korean history. The hubby excitedly introduced the topic of Admiral Yi Sun-sin, quite possibly the greatest naval commander in the history of the world. Christian, having lived in South Korea and having studied extensively Korean history, shared a great deal of historical information with ease and passion. I heard them speak of the Admiral playing an essential role in defeating the Japanese when they attempted to invade Korea during the Joseon dynasty. I heard them discussing the value of the turtle ships in defeating the Japanese every time Admiral Yi Sun-sin and his troops engaged the enemy (23 recorded engagements), even when heavily outnumbered (333 to 13 in one battle) and with limited supplies. I heard them exchange recollections of having seen a turtle ship in a museum in Seoul. It was a heartwarming exchange, getting them both excited and allowing them to contribute to the others learning endeavors.  This is what it looks like to live a lifestyle of learning!


From the Autumn, not Spring, but captures well life around here.


Other endeavors included the hubby continuing to listen to and learn about classical music. He has maintained a walking routine and has discovered Mark Twain's short stories.  Bishop has been learning how to drive, continued to work for the caterer and has been creating salad masterpieces for family consumption and has been painting daily, exploring different substrates, paints and methods. I have listened to a lecture on the enlightenment, using a book from the library I tried to expand my salad repertoire, and I am consistently reading, researching and writing. I discovered that author Saul Bellows exists (still need to read his works) and was reminded of the existence of Henry James and read The Portrait of a Lady. And, inadvertently, while reading a travel book, I learned of the significance of the grange hall. To me "the grange" was the building where I had 4-H meetings as a youngster; I never questioned further. I learned that "the grange" was was more than a community building, it was an organization. The National Grange was founded in 1867 and was the first agricultural and public rural interest organization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment