Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Lifestyle of Learning 2023 Edition: Volume 4

 It is important to me that I challenge myself to learn and grow. Here is a bit of what I did during the month of July to further that goal:

- I continue to make progress in making my way through Balance the Sword. This means that I am making progress on reading my way through the Bible. In July, I read Song of Solomon, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentation, Ezekiel, and Daniel. I have now read all of the major prophets in the Old Testament. 

- I, also, made my way through seven books. I read The Violinists Thumb by Sam Kean, Winter Journey by Diane Armstrong, Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neal Postman, The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, Circe by Madeline Miller, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.

- In the book Amusing Ourselves to Death, the author wanted to "show that definitions of truth are derived, at least in part, from the character of the media of communication through which information is conveyed." A topic that I have pondered, albeit less in depth and less eloquently. Postman had significant concerns about television being our primary source of information, as opposed to typography, because he believed that "what we watch is a medium which presents information in a form that renders it simplistic, nonsubstantive, nonhistorical and noncontextual" and that "in the absence of continuity and context... 'bits of information cannot be integrated into an intelligent and consistent whole.' Does the definition of truth than shift? I don't know and I don't think I agree with everything Postman presents but it is worth pondering, particularly as technology continues to offer up different ways for us to receive information. I do think that this quote is worth pondering further: "we are losing our sense of what it means to be well informed. Ignorance is always correctable. But what shall we do if we take ignorance to be knowledge?"

- I went to the butterfly house.

- I attended a chamber orchestra concert. There was also an opening set by a folk/bluegrass band.

- In the book Killers of the Flower Moon, I learned that the Osage Indians, when being forced to move from Kansas in the late 18th century, successfully navigated a move to a reservation in Oklahoma that included the rights to the resources found in the earth beneath the reservation. In the early 19th century oil was found there and the biggest oil companies sought leases on the reservation. Many Osage became very wealthy through returns from leasing fees generated by their headrights. During the 1920's, in what is known as the Reign of Terror, many Osage suffered manipulation, fraud, and many murders by outsiders eager to take over their wealth. I was surprised to learn that the Osage had negotiated mineral rights successfully and then shocked to learn that they were not allowed to manage their individual finances, the government required that someone be designated to manage their finances. I was dismayed to find, yet again, that many people were willing to benefit from this bigotry and persecution; stunned by how readily some seem to embrace irrational notions about fellow human beings. This was something I was already thinking about after reading Winter Journey. I have many thoughts swirling in my mind related to this; maybe I'll write more in the future. Maybe.

- I played miniature golf... three times! I hadn't done putt putt in years!

- I tried a variety of new pastries from a local bakery. I surprised myself by liking most the pastry that I thought I would like least!

- I pitched horseshoes for the first time. And the second.

- I recently learned that high levels of Vitamin A allow seals to survive in the cold by stimulating cells that allow seal pups to quickly add thick layers of skin and blubber. The mother seals store up large amounts of Vitamin A that is then delivered to the seal pups via nursing. Likewise, polar bears store up large quantities of Vitamin A, in part to protect them from the cold and, in part because they feast on Vitamin A rich seals. This Vitamin A gets stored in polar bear livers. If humans consume polar bear liver they will likely die and it has been noted that whatever human body parts touch the polar bear liver will begin to peel. Vitamin A stimulates growth by binding to DNA and transcribing it rapidly. It contributes to "programmed cell death." Lesson: if you are starving in the arctic and manage to kill a polar bear, don't eat the liver, regardless of how sumptuous it may appear. 

- I attended an Independence Day parade, watched the Victorian drill team and have determined to participate.

- I played cornhole for the first time as well. I participated in a tournament at work. I did manage to get one bean bag in the hole and my points weren't cancelled out. We lost, 21-3, but I consider those three points to be a victory for me.

- I went to Bakers Creek Heirloom Seed Company's seed store and village. They had several beautiful flower beds front and center. I took note of several different plants that I was previously unfamiliar with and gawked at the enormous assortment of heirloom seeds available in the store.

- I learned that I may want to look further into epigenetics.

- I ate at a vegan restaurant. It was highly enjoyable. I had never had vegan ice cream before and had never even pondered what it would be made of until this day. I dug right in to my ice cream, than wondered if they were relying on nuts and, being allergic to some nuts, decided that I should learn. I learned that vegan ice cream can be made from coconut milk, oat milk, almond and cashew milks, and soy milk. Good to know. My ice cream was safe for consumption and it was delicious!

- I have been weight lifting a couple of times a week and am getting stronger!!!

- On several occasions, I have gone to the park to shoot some hoops. My first attempts were lamentable but I am improving. I have even heard a SWOOSH, a time or two.

- I went to the art museum and viewed an exhibition of enamel vessels and the annual watercolor exhibition.

- I went to the local botanical garden. I was thrilled to see the White Garden in bloom; very inspiring. The Rose Garden was also in full bloom. There were old garden roses and modern roses and species (wild) roses, all in a rainbow of colors. There were hybrid tea roses, grandifloras, floribundas, polyanthas, miniature roses and minifloras, and shrub roses. There were so many different types of roses and I am reminded that I still have so much to learn!

- I observed a Great Blue Heron trying to catch its dinner! Fascinating!!!

- I watched a stage production of Mean Girls, Jr. I didn't know that Mean Girls was written by Tina Fey, until now. 

- I played many games of Uno and Can't Stop.

- I went bowling for the first time in, like, forever.

- I went to the lake to observe the water lilies. While there, I believe, I saw a pileated woodpecker in flight.

- I heard that a suspect has been arrested in relation to the killings that have been attributed to the Long Island serial killer. I spent some time researching this.


- I went to the fair and perused all the handicrafts and livestock - always inspiring. I also watched a daredevil performance in which one of the performers was a member of the great Wallenda family. So cool.

- I have sought to maintain my journaling practice and have been challenged artistically.

- I hiked the nature center on a hot and muggy day. There was very little movement from creatures. There were no deer or turtles and not much in the way of birds. I did see a lot of dragonflies and one Eastern chipmunk.

-I tried some new things in the kitchen. I made vegan burgers and a caprese salad for Keegan. I also made some chocolate chip and coconut oatmeal cookies.

I don't typically go to concerts but I had the chance to go to one FO FREEE! so I did. I saw Ozark Mountain Daredevils, 38 Special, and Foreigner in concert. That was a cool experience!



No comments:

Post a Comment