Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Last Weeks Frugal Accomplishments

Oh my goodness, can it really be so?  Apparently my last entry regarding my frugal accomplishments was on February 17.   I have my excuses all having to do with getting overwhelmed with life.  First I injured my back, then I had to play catch up, then I had to make an unexpected trip to New Mexico for my mother-in-laws funeral, then I had to turn around and return to New Mexico for my grandfathers funeral, then my husband came from Korea for a visit which brings us to this present day.  I feel as if we are hemorrhaging money and, even worse, I feel as though I have lost my focus.  It is time to regroup.  It is time to bring my vision back in to focus and get back to work.
So here I go...

*52 Week Savings Plan:  Unfortunately this account has been entirely depleted.  When I made the first trip to New Mexico I had to leave Maceo at home because he was performing in a show.  While I was gone he utilized the funds in this account to buy himself food, etc.  Although I am sad that there is no money in this account I am thrilled that there was money readily available during this time.  I must resume setting money aside.

*Christmas Jar of Change:  The change, meanwhile, has just been piling up waiting to be counted.  I have saved $38.29 in change.  The previous balance was $51.54.  The grand total is now $89.83.  Making progress!

*Favorite Frugal Accomplishments:
I wish I had a slew of frugal accomplishments to list here but, alas, I have so very few but I will find encouragement in what I have done.

-Maceo's vocal instructor, whom we appreciate so very much, celebrated his birthday and we wanted to recognize that special day but, due to the aforementioned hemorrhaging,  I was reluctant to spend much money.  I opted to give him a jar of blackberry jam that I had previously canned and filled a vintage jelly jar with fresh cut herbs from my garden.  The total amount spent was $0 and was accepted with an appreciative inhalation of the scent of fresh mint and a big smile!

-We resisted the urge to turn on the air conditioning.  We went through most of the month of June with the a/c turned off!  I can't wait to see the bill! (I don't think that I have ever said that before)!


- I began this little project in the yard.  I paid for the mulch but every other element has been free.  I transplanted the plants from another bed (they desperately needed divided).  The reclaimed bricks were found alongside the railroad tracks while walking the dog.  I have carted them home one grocery bag full at a time.  The edging is simply woven branches that were clipped from my overgrown tree line.

So, there you have it.  It is not much but I will consider it a start (again)!

2 comments: