Friday, January 5, 2018

Happy 17th Birthday, Bishop!!!

Today this boy, my baby boy, turns 17!!!

Here is a little message about Bishop that I wrote on Facebook:
Have you ever met someone who, by force of who they are, changes you, either incrementally or in a more transformative manner, for the better?  For me, Bishop is one of those people.  Bishop has always had a unique ability to understand people and he seeks to positively influence them.  He is patient and generous and intuitive and witty and intelligent and contemplative and silly and self-motivated and just downright amazing.  He has inspired me to always try to be a better version of myself.  He is patient with me and my foibles.  He gently challenges me when I am wrong.  He encourages me to keep learning.  I could go on and on as I truly respect this guy.  I am blessed to be his mom.

I am so blessed.  Just look at this big-eyed little guy that stole my heart right from the beginning!!!




 Well, today we celebrate him and all that he has brought to this family.
We celebrate him with what might possibly be the ugliest cake ever.  (Sigh)  But it might also be the most entertaining cake ever.  (Yay)
 We put together a little fiesta.
Dad tried his hand at making margaritas...
 ...and let Bishop give it a try.
 We munched on chips and homemade salsa and guacamole having dynamic conversation while Herb hooked up dinner...
 ...which was fajitas.
 It was so good!
 Then on to the cake.  We lit the tall little candles then the center of the big one...
 ...and the cake was ablaze.
 The flower opened and spinned and played the happy birthday song...
 ...and knocked into the tall candles and was just quite exciting all the way around!
 Wishes were made...
 ...and the candles blown out quite dramatically.
And the flower candle was shoved in the freezer as it wouldn't stop playing that tinny version of the happy birthday song.
 Cake and ice cream were devoured and gifts were opened.
There was the empty phone box to open which really meant that he was getting a phone for his birthday and would get to go shopping for it later in the week.
 There were dirtbag hacky sacks. 
 A box that was tricky to open contained the best ever winter hat.
 And, lastly, he received a little chopper to help with his baklava making. 
 ( I will get him a food processor one of these days)


 After a lot of determined silliness trying to figure out the hacky sacks the boys settled in the living room, conversing, watching videos, etc.
 I love their relationship with one another!

On the eve of Bishop's birthday there was more gift unwrapping.  It was Christmas gifts from Keegan that Bishop graciously allowed us to open on his special day.
 Ahhh and here are my boys again, lined up on the sofa with gifts in hand (or on foot in Christian's case).  Christian received slippers, Bishop received the book Lore, Maceo received a watch and I received the most gorgeous sweater ever.
Thank you, Keegan!

And, in closing...
Bishop has brought me, and the rest of the family, immeasurable joy and I pray that he will experience heaps of joy throughout his life!

Happy Birthday, Bishop!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment