Thursday, January 11, 2018

Reflecting on the Year Past

A new year is upon us and it only seems right to reflect on the previous year and think a bit about what this next year might hold.
Although it has looked very different each year I do strive to do this every year (2017, 2016, 2014).
It has been a challenging year filled with many ups and many downs.

We have celebrated birthdays!  Bishop turned 16 and we celebrated with a fun family Mickey Mouse party - "Hot Dog".  Keegan was home for her 27th birthday and we celebrated with a Beauty and the Beast theme (we watched the movie while she was home, as well).  Christian turned 28.  I turned the big 5-0!  Keegan planned a surprise party for my birthday and, boy, was it a SURPRISE!  We were blessed to get to celebrate my Dad's birthday with him and then my Mom's birthday with her.
We welcomed a new family and yet another birthday buddy for Bishop!
Maceo was Gaston in SLT's production of Beauty and the Beast Jr.
Maceo alternated roles of Horton and the Mayor for the touring company's production of Seussical Jr.  He also did a touring company show with the local opera.
Christian began the year home with us but returned to Korea to continue his studies.  He later returned home with theses to finish to receive his degrees.
We did mold remediation in the basement.
Maceo also performed in Jesus Christ Superstar and The Addams Family.
Bishop continued with his culinary internship and it has now become a paid position.
Bishop has made enormous strides in regards to his pottery and has expanded his art making repetoire by taking a furnace glass blowing class and a jewelry making class.  He also took a glass bead making class and went back for studio time several times.
We had a lot of family visits.  My dad came out twice this year. Keegan also came out twice this year.  My mom came out for a month-long visit, my little sister stopped by and, for the first time ever, my brother came to town.  AMAZING!
Maceo went to prom with Ruby then later began dating Brenna.
 Maceo continued with ppt classes, troupe and teen players.  It was really the year of improv, though.  He excelled at the improv of teen players and acting class.  One of our city's improv teams was anxiously awaiting him turning 18 so that he could join their team.  He actually joined a month or two before his birthday.  He ended the year being a member of three different teams.  He also takes advanced improv classes and is forming his own team.
Maceo and Bishop went to a Chance the Rapper concert.
Maceo began his senior year of high school and Bishop began his junior year.
Bishop and I had a close friend die.
Maceo won a Franny!
Maceo directed Comedy Tonight, a comedy sketch show.
Maceo performed in Rocky Horror Show at a theatre he had never worked with before.
Maceo was cast in his first bit of Shakespeare.
Maceo, Bishop and I went to Crystal Bridges Museum.
Maceo had a lot of medical tests.  Sigh.
Bishop called color guard for several of his friends Eagle Scout Court of Honors and we managed to resuscitate the troop.
Maceo was hired by a theatre group in the Kansas City area to teach and perform in a summer program.  He was Jesus in Godspell!
Keegan moved to a new apartment.  She survived all the crazy fires of the year, including the one that threatened Sherman Oaks.
She was in several productions, directed a show and was part of the ensemble that won Best Ensemble at the Valley Theatre Awards.
Christian started a non-profit organization, Ozark International Outreach.
Herb wrestled with medical issues.  He even had a cardioversion and a sever case of uveitis that left him unable to see for quite some time.
We lost the blower to our a/c and furnace right before the hottest weekend of the summer and being unable to repair it until after Christmas we experienced a nippy Christmas day.
We lost power just before the coldest weekend of years.  We got it repaired just in time but then had our vehicle break down leaving us on the side of the road on that coldest evening.  Sigh.
Herb retired from the military!!!!!!!

It has been a year full of family and transition.
There were many great, great, great things
and then many things that have left me depleted.
Which leaves me feeling as though the beginning of this year is not flowing as readily for me.
However, it might be argued that the flow left me some time ago.
As I looked over the previous years blog posts I found that I stopped posting financial accomplishments at the beginning of June.  Also, last year I set some other goals which I lost all focus on by the middle of the year.
Let's see if I can focus now.  Let's see if I can make my way through the fog to find a vision of the life that I want to lead and set some goals that will enable me to move closer to that life.
It is time to look to the year ahead, to be deliberate.

No comments:

Post a Comment