Saturday, July 1, 2023

Goals Revisited and Renewed: Part 2

 Midway through the year is a perfect time for me to revisit the goals that I have established for myself. It is time to assess progress, revise the goals if necessary, and renew my commitment to them. In the previous post I revisited my original 2023 goals and Could Have Been Me goals. In this post, I am going to check in on my 23 Hard Things in 2023 goals. In addition to the larger, overarching goals expressed in the previous post, I have expressed the intention to attack 23 hard things in 2023. These are things that I believe will add something of value to my life or they are things that need to be done but I have struggled to prioritize. So, let's see......

1) Write 12 snail mail letters. Amongst my friends and family, I am known for NOT writing letters. They accept this about me but I know that they value letters. I value them so I am trying to connect with them in a way that delights them. I wrote 2 letters this month; one to my dad for Father's Day and the other to a niece who graduated high school. I have now attained my goal - 12/12 - DONE!!! I will continue to write letters throughout the year. There are more people out there who I know will delight in hearing from me.

2) Initiate three dates with hubby. No progress.

3) Purge 1200 items. Through June, I have purged 1122. I have 78 more items to purge in order to reach my goal. 1122/1200.

4) Read 48 books. By the end of June, I have read 47 books. I am including books of the Bible in this count. I am still reading at least four other books per month. I am rocking this goal! 47/48.

5) 12 of the 48 books read need to be books that I own. In June, I read the History of the Writings of Beatrix Potter that Maceo gifted me for Christmas. (It was a fascinating read) In 2023, I have read 11 books from my personal stash. 11/12.

6) Have one adventure per month. For me, an adventure is doing something new or takes me out of my comfort zone. In June, I participated in the Heart Walk. I did this by myself and feel good about that. I also acquired a new basketball and shot some hoops one morning before work. I want to keep hitting the hoops. Fun!

7) Make and maintain a minimum of six monthly journals. Done!!! June's journal makes my sixth monthly journal! Now, I have to decide the direction that I want to take with my journals and my paper stash and all that jazz. 6/6.

8) Make a minimum of 36 blog entries. I made no progress on this goal during the month of June. I haven't blogged about New Mexico or shared wedding photos that I took or shared what I have been learning. I am going to turn my attention to this blog and will take this into consideration when I make a decision about what my journals will look like now. This post and the previous goal-related post are my 13th and 14th posts of the year. 14/36.

9) Repair camera. DONE.

10) Repair mandolin and learn to play one song. NOPE.

11) Dance. No progress.

12) Learn to tiptoe (move like a child). YUP.

13) Learn to skip (move like a child). NOPE.

14) Do a cartwheel, although a roundoff will do. NOPERS.

15) Remove tree from front yard. DONE.

16) Repair front porch stairs. DONE. Note: we have also repaired the light above the sink and have replaced the windows above the sink. Presently, we are getting estimates on re-piping the house.

17) Write letter to Carole's mother. Written, not sent.

18) Take vitamins a minimum of 275 days of the year. I have taken my vitamins 151/180 days, thus far. That is a 84% success rate. I can do better. 

19) Floss teeth a minimum of 275 days of the year. I have flossed 116/180, thus far. That is only a 64% success rate. Surely, I can do better than that. I NEED to do better than that!

20) Track expenditures a minimum of 275 days of the year. Just as I did in May, I struggled to track my expenditures in real time and with accuracy during the month of June. I have made notes on some days but not to completion. I have about 24 of the 30 days documented in some form. Now, is the time to get back on track. Today, July 1, I start anew!!!

21) Do not go to Andy's alone. Ok, I'll fess up... I have failed. I was given gift cards to Andy's and that made it impossible (apparently) for me to resist its siren call. Sigh.

22) Try 15 new smoothie, salad or vegetarian recipes. NOPE.

23) Complete at least 75% of Balancing the Sword, Volume 1. I am more than 2/3 of the way to my goal. I have now read through the Songs of Solomon. I am feeling good about this!

By revisiting my goals, I can see that I am quite successful with some of my goals. I have developed a good return with my Bible study, reading, and vitamins. I need to improve my flossing routine and revive my tracking of expenditures. I think I am struggling with trying new recipes because I am still so focused on using up the items in my pantry. I will let this goal stand for now but it may need to be revised in the future. I am making progress in reaching my physical goals but am struggling more than I anticipated. I will refocus on these goals, as well. The home repair and debt repayment related goals have been met with wild success. There is now momentum in those areas and I hope to capitalize off that momentum in a significant way. I can feel the energy surging within me and it is that energy that helps me get in the zone and get it done. I am ready to rock and roll for the remainder of the year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment