Saturday, September 2, 2023

Checking in on My 23 Hard Things in 2023 Goals


It's time to check in on my progress in reaching my 23 Hard Things in 2023 goals. I believe I made significant progress during August. I felt like I had traction, mojo... something. Let's check it out!

 1) Write 12 snail mail letters. DONE. Despite the fact that I completed this goal in June, I have continued to write letters. Although this doesn't come naturally to me, I know that these letters are valued by those that receive them. I love those people and I want them to really know that. I still have a list of people to write. I press on. I wrote two more letters this month; one to a grand-nephew and another to the wonderful man who was my stepfather, forever my stepfather in my heart. I have now written 14/12 letters. 

2) Initiate three dates with hubby. DONE. As previously mentioned, we had a stay-at-home date. We played Battleship. I also invited him to go hiking at the nature center. After the hike, we went by Sonic for some refreshing iced tea and then went to the lake to look at the water lilies. Today we took a 40 minute drive to try a new BBQ joint, dined together, then stopped at an orchard. That is three dates. I still intend on inviting him to play miniature golf one day. 3/3.

3) Purge 1200 items. DONE. I completed this goal in July but still attempt to purge 100 items per month. In August, I purged 444 items! 1670/1200.

4) Read 48 books. No problemo. Including the books of the Bible that I have read, I read 30 books in August. If I discount the books of the Bible I have read 45 of the 48. Altogether, 91/48.

5) 12 of the 48 books read need to be books that I own. DONE. 20/12.

6) Have one adventure per month. For me, an adventure can be anything that takes me out of my comfort zone. In August, I went to an old theatre in a neighboring city and viewed old Roy Rogers movies, took myself to the zoo, hiked at a state park, repaired my mandolin (believe it or not, going to the music store was uncomfortable for me, I pushed myself and got it done), and am learning to play that mandolin. Wonderful!

7) Make and maintain a minimum of six monthly journals. DONE.  I have now completed eight (almost) of these journals and will be moving to a new format this month. Goal completed though!

8) Make a minimum of 36 blog entries. I made four entries in the month of August. 18/36.

9) Repair camera. DONE.

10) Repair mandolin and learn one song. DONE. Repaired and I can play the song Cindy!

11) Dance. I'm not dancing daily (although that was never the expressed goal) but I am dancing, usually informally. I am, however, doing some disco tutorials. I'm Your Boogie Man... er... Woman!

12) Learn to tiptoe (move like a child). DONE.

13) Learn to skip (move like a child). I can skip but not gracefully. I'm still working on this.

14) Do one cartwheel, although a round off will do (move like a child). Not even close.

15) Remove tree from front yard. DONE.

16) Repair front porch stairs. DONE.

17) Write a letter to Carole's mother. It is written but not mailed. I am now uncertain as to whether I should send this letter. I am praying on it.

18) Take vitamins a minimum of 275 days this year. 203/244, need 72/120.

19) Floss teeth a minimum of 275 days this year. 176/244, need 99/120.

20) Track expenditures a minimum of 275 days this year. 224/244, need 51/120.

21) Do not go to Andy's alone. Ok... alright... let me address this one... sigh. I have not persisted with this goal throughout the summer. I had $75 in gift cards that I thought I would use with the kiddos when they were together but that never happened. I used the gift cards all by myself. I used the last of the gift card mid-August but then decided that I could continue to treat myself throughout my birthday month. Happy Birthday to me! Now, however, I have determined that the best gift I could give myself is to not go to Andy's alone for the remainder of the year. Happy Birthday to me!

22) Try 15 new smoothie, salad and vegetarian recipes. I made garlic parmesan white beans, peanut butter granola, veggie quesadillas (the filling was super delish), and avocado toast/sandwich (believe it or not, I had never made any variation of avocado toast before). 8/15.

23) Complete at least 75% of Balancing the Sword Volume 1. I have surpassed the 75% point and am on track to be 100% complete by the end of this month. It is my intent to save Volume 2 for next year, so, because I am thoroughly enjoying my morning Bible study, I will search my bookshelves for other Bible study materials to use for the last three months of 2023.

I am super pleased with my progress. I am going to have to stay very focused if I am to be successful with all of them (like flossing my teeth, ugh). I can do it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment