Friday, September 15, 2023

Lifestyle of Learning 2023 Edition: Volume 7

September 1 - 15

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."  -Isaac Newton

- I am listening to bluegrass music to familiarize myself with songs, develop my ear and learn more about strumming patterns.

- I completed the Hillsdale online course 'Introduction to Western Philosophy'. It covered Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, Bacon, Descartes, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche,  and C.S. Lewis.

- I listened to storyteller Jim Weiss weave a story of the Master of the Renaissance, to include Ghiberti, Donatello, Brunelleschi, Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

- I continued to practice playing the mandolin.

- I am currently reading Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock; A Treasury of Great Poems English and American by Louis Untermeyer; Character for Life by Don Hawkinson, all of which will take me quite some time to get through. 

- I read 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 and 2 Peter, 1,2 and 3 John, Jude and Revelation. For the first time in my life I have read the Bible in its entirety!

- I completed Balancing the Sword: A Comprehensive Study Guide to Life's Manual by Allen B. Wolfe.

- I listened to The Story of Bach in Words and Music by VOX Music Masters. Prior to listening to this, I knew that Bach came from a long line of musicians, that he was a renowned organist, and was Kapellmeister (I didn't remember this title, though) for a royal court and, thus, worked with a chamber orchestra. I didn't know, however, that after Bach's death his music was largely unknown until Mendelssohn revived interest in his works. As a follow up to the story I listened to, I found this article to be interesting.

- I am actively researching boondocking and other things related to my dream travels.

- I listened to podcasts: LISK, Zone 7, X22, Killing Dad: The Miscreants, and Murder at Ryan's Run which gave an update on the current happenings related to MOVE.

- I read How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig: And Other Ways You've Been Brainwashed by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.


- I attended an Audubon society event that involved counting Chimney Swifts as the entered columns to roost. It is fascinating to watch them circle the columns, undulating and appearing to dive before they tumbled into one of the columns. Thirteen swifts entered one column. Twenty five in another and thirty four in yet another. In the final column eight hundred and eighty eight entered in order to roost for the evening. 960 swifts, altogether!

- I listened to the lecture, "Providential Battles: Twenty Battles that Changed the World" by William Potter. It included the following battles: Salamis, Arbela, Cannae, Tours, Crecy, Constantinople, Tenochtitlan, Lepanto, Armada, Quebec, Saratoga, Yorktown, Trafalgar, Waterloo, Alamo, Antietam, 1st Marne, Britain, Midway, and Stalingrad.

- I did some weight lifting.

- I read Mark Levin's Ameritopia which contrasted utopianism and Americanism by examining Plato's Republic, Thomas More's Utopia, Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan, Karl Marx' Communist Manifesto, John Locke's Nature of Man, Charles de Montesquieu and his thoughts on republicanism, and Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America and gave an analysis of the influence of some of these writings on the founders and others on contemporary America.

- I played Colorku.

- I went for a hike. I observed a Great Blue Heron preening.

- I read The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli and found that he wasn't as Machiavellian as I had imagined, or at least as I had come to understand the term. It was an interesting read.



- I listened to The Story of Vivaldi and Corelli in Words and Music by VOX Music Masters. I learned that Corelli is considered the father of modern violin.

- I listened to an abridged dramatic versions of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream and The Taming of the Shrew.


- I attended a craft show of young entrepreneurs. The range of products offered and the professionally on display was impressive. Inspiring!

-I attended a quilt show that had antique and contemporary quilts on display. I was enthralled by the variation of double wedding quilt and the bread basket quilt. I had never seen anything like these before. I learned that there are many opportunities for quilters to learn something new, as was evidenced by the quilters who had attended the Crazy Chicken Mystery class. That tickled me!


- I began an online course by Hillsdale on  Children's Literature.

- I learned the difference between buzzards and vultures. I had it in my head that they were essentially synonymous; I think from cartoons of my youth where they would have signage referencing buzzards and also have vulture sitting on a fence post. Buzzards are of the genus Buteo, as are hawks. Vultures are of the Cathartes genus. Vultures are exclusively scavengers. Buzzards are primarily birds of prey. Now I know!

- I attended a special training session on the Great Game of Business.

- I have started listening to a lecture by William Potter titled "Sabers, Spears and Catapults: A Providential History of Warfare Technology."

- I did a little research and learned that during migration, swifts form large colonies and can fly up to 500 miles per day and they can do everything in air except roost and nest.

- I am challenging myself with the questions in the game Mind Trap.


- I am reading Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins; 1984 by George Orwell; and Little Vic by Doris Gates. After having read or listened to alot of non-fiction, I thought it was time to read some fiction. Little Vic is a book I loved in my youth that I am enjoying revisiting. The other two dovetail nicely with some of my other studies.

- I discovered this: http://www.offbeatoregon.com/1206c-forestry-building-biggest-log-cabin-burned.html

No comments:

Post a Comment