Monday, October 16, 2023

Lifestyle of Learning 2023 Edition: Volume 9

 October 1 - 15

"Nothing is too small to be noticed, and once noticed, there is nothing that can't also be extraordinary." -Elizabeth Spencer


-I went for a hike at a nature center. I saw several different types of caterpillars, a snake, an eastern chipmunk, a tufted titmouse, and a red bellied woodpecker.  I researched the sounds that a red bellied woodpecker makes. I was then able to identify that woodpeckers call. There was a lot of bird activity, although I didn't clearly see very many of them. I do need to learn more about identifying birds via their call.


- I read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, 1984 by George Orwell, Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison, Oklahoma Crossroads by Michael Wallis and David Fitzgerald, Martin Luther's Ninety Five Theses edited by Stephen J. Nichols, Route 66 Traveler's Guide and Roadside Companion by Tom Snyder, Adam and His Kin by Ruth Beechik, The Secret Summer of L.E.B. by Barbara Brooks Wallace, William Harvey and the Discovery of the Circulation of the Blood by Thomas Huxley, Humanist Manifestos 1 and 2, Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson,  Number the Stars by Lois Lowery, Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe, Jason by Dorothy Hamilton, and What I Wish For You by Alexandra Hardy- Shamaya and Isaac Garuda.


- I am learning important lessons at work. Last month, I took special GGOB training and, this month, I have been part of a committee that developed a minigame. I was able to utilize my training to guide the team. I also had the opportunity to put some ideas regarding leadership into practice. It has been educational.


- I saw a caterpillar for a monarch butterfly. It was throwing a munch on a milkweed plant.

- I learned of the "Treasury of Merits," or as Martin Luther referred to them the "treasures of the church." This refers to the "medieval Roman Catholic teaching that the surplus merits of Christ and the saints are kept in a heavenly treasury." This idea has given me plenty to ponder.


- "Since we can only experience history through our imaginations,..., the ruins we encounter serve as vital props for any journey of the mind in time. In viewing some roadside ruin, then, we are better able to re-create for ourselves the period in which it stood. An interesting thought - that by seeing clearly what remains, each of us gives some ruin a second life. A chance to exist again, as it once was, in the projection of our mind's eye." This quote from the Route 66 Traveler's Guide really resonated with me. It has proved to be true for me. Traveling Route 66 during my childhood stoked my imagination and created in me a curiosity about a time before mine. This is what drives my desire to take an epic American road trip. I continue to research America - places to see and experience, and foods to eat. I am exploring routes across America, back and forth, and up and down. I am learning quite a bit about my home country.

- I am watching videos related to car camping and van life. My favorite, presently, is Alauna Roby.



- I am listening to the following podcasts: X22, Gone South, LISK and Zone 7.


- I hiked at the Water Valley Mill, twice.


- I am reading battle Cry for My Generation  by Ron Luce, Sacred Rhythms by Christine Sine, and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor.


- I did some weightlifting.



No comments:

Post a Comment