Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Lifestyle of Learning 2023 Edition: Volume 10

 October 16 - 31

"We need intimate knowledge of the past. Not that the past has any magic about it, but because we ... need something to set against the present, to remind us that the basic assumptions have been quite different in different periods and that much which seems certain to the uneducated is merely temporary fashion. A man who has lived in many places is not likely to be deceived by the local errors of his native village; the scholar has lived in many times and is therefore in some degree immune from the greatest cataract of nonsense that pours from the press and microphone of his own age." -C.S. Lewis


- I went for a walk at a botanical center. I made natural observations while moving my body and I made note of how the various gardens were presenting at this time of year vs. earlier in the year.



- I have been doing some journaling and continue to experiment with styles and approaches.

- I have resumed watching YouTube videos related to journaling. I really enjoy February and June and Suzi's Tiny Desk. Their work resonates with me.


- I read Battle Cry for My Generation by Ron Luce, Sacred Rhythms by Christine Sine, Mountainair N.M. Centennial History  1903-2003 by Bert Herrman, Tell Me Everything by Erika Krouse, Footprints in the Ash by John Morris and Steven Austin, Scopes: Creation on Trial by R.M. Cornelius and John D. Morris, Land of Burning Heat by Judith Van Gieson, Ribsy by Beverly Cleary, Our Little Macedonian Cousin of Long Ago by Julia Darrow Cowles, The Legacy of Lord Baden Powell by Eleanor Clark, The Search for Christina by Eleanor Lattimore, Winter Pony by Jean Doty, The Official Guide to America's National Parks, and Unfit for Command by John O'Neill and Jerome Corsi.

- I listened to these podcasts: LISK, X22, and Gone South. 

- I have resumed working on my disco routine and I learned the Wobble. I have also found another dance tutorial that is going to be a blast. Imma dancin'!

- I hiked the nature center.

- I am reading Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor, In Time of Harvest by John Sinclair, Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington, Eat Your Way Across the U.S.A. by Jane and Michael Stern, and How Should We Then Live? by Francis Schaeffer.

- I watched The Shining Code 2.0.


- I have picked up the mandolin again. It felt good!

- I completed Hillsdale's online courses Introduction to the Constitution and Constitution 101 and am taking American Heritage From Colonial Settlement to the Current Day.


I survived... I mean, did... some public speaking.

- l have written two letters this month and am working on the art of letter writing. My mom and older sister are gifted letter writers. I am not but am trying and am making progress.


- I did some weightlifting and I have started utilizing the rowing machine.

- I am researching kettlebell techniques. Kettlebells will be a great way for me to get resistance training in when I am on the road and away from a gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment