Monday, April 17, 2023

23 Hard Things in 2023 - UPDATE

In addition to my larger goals which were expressed at the beginning of the year, I have expressed the intention to attack 23 hard things during this year. These are things that I believe will add something of value to my life or just need to be done but I have struggled to prioritize. I'm ready to check in and evaluate my progress!

1). Write 12 snail mail letters. I am actually known for not writing letters but have felt convicted that I should be communicating in this form to people who have touched my life in a super special way. To date, I have sent off 4 letters. 4/12 done!

2). Initiate three dates with hubby. No progress yet.

3). Purge 1200 items. At this very moment, I have purged 864 from my home. This does not count food items used in the "Use It Up" Challenge nor the scrapbook items used in my journaling endeavor. There is still a long way to go but I can see and feel the difference. I sometimes get frustrated or impatient with my progress but, overall, am quite pleased. Being able to see a difference is motivating. I press on.

4). Read 48 books. I started out VERY slow with this goal but am now on a roll. At this moment I have read 18 of the 48 books.

5). 12 of the 48 books read need to be books I own. Five of the 18 books that I have read are ones that I already own. I am making great progress with this goal. My larger goal is to have read every book that I own. I can make this happen. 5/12.

6). Have one adventure per month. YUP. For me, an adventure is doing something new or something that takes me out of my comfort zone. In January, I went to an esthetician and got an amazing facial. In February, I attended a lecture at a museum. In March, I visited gyms and did a workout at one. Thus far, in April, I attended Easter service at an Anglican church. That won't be my last adventure for the month. I'm building momentum! :)

7). Make and maintain a minimum of six monthly journals. I am up to date on my journaling. I have completed three journals, thus far, representing January, February, and March. I am working on April's journal, day by day.

8). Make a minimum of 36 blog entries. This will make my 8th blog entry this year. Not bad, not bad.

9). Repair camera. DONE. I was afraid that something had gone really wrong with my camera and when I experience fear and shame I then seek to avoid addressing the issue. I have not used my camera in over a year. As frequently happens, the issue that I was afraid of addressing turned out to be simple to address. I can be so ridiculous sometimes. I purchased a new rechargeable battery for my camera and that did the trick!

10). Repair mandolin and learn one song. Not yet.

11). Dance. I have had one good dance session in the kitchen when no one else was at home. MUST. KEEP. DANCING.

12). Learn to tiptoe (move like a child). DONE. I did it!!!

13). Learn to skip (move like a child). Not yet.

14). Do one cartwheel, although a round off will do (move like a child). Certainly not yet.

15). Remove tree from front yard. DONE. The front yard is now heartbreakingly empty but the much needed task has been completed.

16). Repair front porch stairs. NOPE.

17). Write letter to Carole's mother. The rough draft has been written.

18). Take vitamins a minimum of 275 days of the year. At this point, 106 days into the year, I have an 84% success rate. Stating this goal so definitively has really helped me focus. I have had 100% success over the last month!

19). Floss teeth a minimum of 275 days of the year. I had a really slow start while attempting to develop this habit but am on a roll. Presently, I have a 57.5% success rate. It WILL improve!

20). Track expenditures a minimum of 275 days of the year. I have a 99% success rate on this one!!!

21). Do not go to Andy's alone. I scored myself some Andy's frozen custard alone one time this year, in January. I have been tempted a LOT. I am pleased with my progress. I'm going to keep fighting the good fight!

22). Try 15 new smoothie, salad, or vegetarian recipes. I haven't tried one YET.

23). Complete at least 75% of Balance the Sword, Volume One. I am making great progress on this one. Getting started was the hardest part. I am enjoying it now. Having set such a clearly defined goal has been very motivational. I am a quarter of the way to reaching my goal!

Although I had established goals at the beginning of the year and some of these hard things overlap with those goals, I began 23 Hard Things in 2023 just one month ago. I am satisfied with my progress. I've got this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment