Thursday, April 27, 2023

"Use It Up" Challenge Continued... Again

 I am heading out on a road trip, yet I continue to accept the challenge to use up what I have. When I sorted the pantry, fridge and freezer out not too long ago, I determined that I would take as much of my own food as possible on this trip. I made a list of things that I could take inspired by what I had on hand but knowing that it would have to be supplemented with some grocery shopping, i.e. cowboy caviar and chips and pasta salad. I was proud of this plan. After getting through a birthday celebration and a special Easter dinner, I found that I only had $7 left in my grocery budget. I decided NOT to go to the store and get those supplemental items. I would HAVE to make do and USE IT UP. I found bologna and honey ham in the freezer. In the pantry, I found mustard, peanut butter, bread, sweet potato chips gifted to me by a friend, British chips brought by Maceo at Christmas time, a bag of crackers leftover from Christmas charcuterie, cheese puffs that were given to me at work, a handful of nilla wafers, and a small box of Moroccan cookies. Also, in the pantry, I found pretzel rods and white chocolate and made chocolate covered pretzels. I found, in the fridge, cheeses leftover from Valentine's charcuterie and Easter dinner; as well as, gourmet jams and mustard. I found lemon drops and gum from my Christmas stocking, leftover biscuits wrapped in plastic wrap on the table, a banana and tangerines in the fruit bowl, and a grapefruit in my lunchbox. I packed all this up, tossed in some boiled eggs and the bread Bishop baked for me the evening before the trip and press on with the challenge.

************************************************

April 18: B- boiled eggs, biscuits and plum jelly; L- bologna sandwich and sweet potato chips; Snack- chocolate covered pretzels; D- boiled eggs, cheese, tangerine and Bishop's bread. 

April 19: B- gouda and ham on crackers with brown mustard, sweet potato chips, half a grapefruit, banana; Snack- chocolate covered pretzels; L- bologna sandwiches, cheese puffs; D- Blake's Lotaburger green chile cheeseburger and seasoned fries. Pantry = 2.

April 20: B- leftover Blake's; L/D- New Mexican food at a restaurant, enchiladas with green chile.

April 21: B- bologna sandwiches; L/D- pizza from the hut, pepperoni with green chili; Snack- Moroccan cookies. 

April 22: B- leftover pizza, the other half of the grapefruit, Bishop's bread, tangerine; L- green chile cheeseburger, pineapple slaw, and a strawberry and chile lemonade from Sparky's; D- baked potato. Fridge = 1.

April 23: B- Mama made eggs, bacon and toast; L- treated to stuffed sopaipillas at a cafe; D- Mama made a roast with carrots.

April 24: B- Mama made eggs, bacon and toast; L/Snacks- bologna sandwiches, Maceo's British chips, nilla wafers, lemon drops and gum; D- Bishop greeted me with steak, avocado, potatoes, chocolate and oat cake with hazelnuts and fruit compote topped with whipped cream. Pantry = 1, Freezer = 1.

Total Pantry = 3

Total Fridge = 1

Total Freezer = 1

***************************************

I didn't end up finishing off a ton of stuff from the pantry, fridge and freezer but I did make a dent!

No comments:

Post a Comment