Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Making Martinmas Lanterns

On Monday, we got busy making our Martinmas lanterns.

We used diluted glue to adhere tissue paper to balloons.


Here is layer one. Maceo's is on the right and Bishop's is on the left.




Working on layer number two.


I decided to join in on all the fun.
My first layer is on the far left.

It is helpful to let each layer dry before moving on to the next.



Maceo opted to only do two layers but, today, Bishop and I added a third for strength.
After the final layer dried thoroughly we popped the balloon.
The lantern creaks and begins to pull in on itself a bit as the balloon separates from the lantern.
But the lantern is surprisingly resilient and pops right back into shape.
Finally, we punched a couple of holes in the lantern, tied string on as a handle and popped in a candle. I will show you final pictures of the lanterns in my next post as I share with you our Martinmas celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment